Saturday, July 26, 2014

White Whale Wandering - Solo

Alright, I did it!  I took the Whale out all by myself! Mark had a softball tournament and I had to get the kiddos to soccer.  It would have been rather silly for him to drive the Whale 40 miles just to get himself to an all day tournament (though he did offer).  I decided I could handle it (but did require him to back it out of the garage).  

I got the kiddos rounded up and fed breakfast, 3 in their soccer uniforms, and located the snacks I had signed up to bring (before realizing I'd be flying solo).  We loaded up the Whale and I turned the key, triple checking that all of the kiddos were buckled.  Meilynn mentioned that she wasn't quite as nervous as the last time I drove (3 miles home from the corner store).  Off we went, making our way across the countryside and avoiding all of the road repairs going on this summer.

We made it... all the kiddos and the snacks.  I found a spot that I felt I could park the Whale in (pre-game exercise is good, right).  Lots of cheering and entertaining the Littles since they had breakfast ahead of time and kept reminding me that I hadn't brought any snacks for them.  Handed out our snacks after Jayson's and Kaitlyn's game and sent 3 kiddos on their way for team pictures (yeah, add that to the crazy day).  Then, more cheering and more reminders of the absence of a snack.  Handed out our snacks for Brayden's game.

Now we needed to figure out lunch... hmmmm.  Where to go with the Whale?  Mom suggested Spagnuolo's. Pizza?  YES PLEASE!  Wait... that means driving the Whale all the way to Okemos.  Took a moment to give myself a little pep talk and mom offered to ride with me.  Mom?!?!  She's avoided the Whale since we bought it!  I had her in stitches as I reminded her that this was payback for the heart attack I would have the few times she would drive dad's pickup when her car was in the shop.  

Yes, dad took me straight through town and yes, he made me pass a tractor, but I think he felt it was a right of passage.  I am truly a soccer mom today!!  I can do this 7 kid-thing!  Mark may even lose his Whale, I might take it over... maybe not. :)


I know, this picture isn't from today (kiddos aren't in soccer uniforms).  However, I don't think a picture or selfie while navigating the Whale would have been wise. :)  Just wanted to give you a perspective of my "rear view". :)

No comments:

Post a Comment