Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Me and My Shadow

This song (Me and My Shadow)... I feel I could sing it all day long!  Mark calls Kristyn my little shadow.  I love her to death, but sometimes, I yearn for just a little space.  I give her a hug and say, "Why don't you find something to play with", as she is touching all of the dishes I wash glued to my side.  I shut the bathroom door and say, "Mommy will be out in a minute".  

It really isn't all that bad.  There are lots of times that she is off playing with her siblings.  But, as I snuggled in next to her on my bed tonight and we watched a movie, it hit me.  She has very little, if any, memory of a mother.  She was abandoned at 1.5 years old.  Kristyn was in a pretty good orphanage, but there was no one on one time.  You didn't give and get hugs and kisses as you passed by the nannies.  Watching them wash dishes, do laundry, and cook while giving you attention and trying to answer all of your questions wasn't an option.  And... snuggling while watching a movie was unheard of!  These feelings, experiences, and common place events in our lives and our children's lives can be so easily taken for granted.  I am thankful that Meilynn, Kaitlyn, Addisyn, and Ryan no longer find hugs, kisses, and cuddle time out of the ordinary.  It is just expected, part of what makes us a family.  It's so easy to forget that there are many kiddos who don't have this.  Such a simple thing.  Something that doesn't cost money or take lots of energy.  So, I learned my lesson.  I will be hugging my kiddos a little tighter.  I will try my best to remember to drop whatever it is I am doing and take time for a little cuddle, because everything else will wait.  And, as I already do, I will continue to cherish every time I hear them tell each other, "I love you"!  For there is no greater joy!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment