Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I Saw Her Face 1 Year Ago



I’m a day early, but a snow day is the perfect time to reflect on the beginning of our journey to Emilyn!  It was a year ago tomorrow night that I saw that sweet little face on my computer. I was checking out all of the agencies for the kiddos I advocate for, since we had agreed to wait until the Spring to start the process again. I saw her need (brain damage) and realized that she was not a baby I could convince Mark to take a “risk” on.

 

The next day, I arrived at school early. All of the kiddos had a snow day, but I had to report. I set out extra early, just in case the roads made my trek slow. With the extra time, I decided to take a peek at her precious face again. That did it. I emailed Mark and said I really thought we should TRY and get her file. We had already been “too late” on a couple of files that had LONG waiting lists. He said, go ahead and request it (I think he was still sleeping). It would be 3 hours until our agency opened, so it felt like FOREVER until I got a response. They had sent me the file!! I glanced over it with lightning speed and told Mark we should try and hold her file. I think he figured she would have a long wait list, as the others did, so said go ahead. I can only imagine his surprise when I forwarded him the response that this sweet girl was on HOLD for OUR FAMILY!


It took us 3 weeks of attempting to get an update and deciding how to proceed with the pediatrician’s warning that her needs and measurements may likely indicate severe brain damage.  The needs listed in her file were: a little subependymal hemorrhage of right side, broadened bilateral ventricles; diagnosis:

premature, VLBW, neonatal intracranial hemorrhage, premature brain damage. But, once I had video (and obviously before that) this princess was MINE!  It would take another month for us to be able to submit a Letter of Intent.


Now, she’s been in my arms for 3 months already, I can’t fathom that we might have missed this!  Fear could have kept us from an unbelievable gift! Emilyn is funny and loving and so very smart!  We might have missed this puzzle loving, investigative, silly, hugging girl! Please don’t miss the gift due to fear!!

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful girl! We took chances with our sweet Savannah. Her heart ❤️ condition wasn't as bad as we thought. God is good! Love our sweet girl! Would love to adopt again. My husband is on board as long as we save the money. He does not believe we should fundraise. We do not have have a supportive family or even church to help with fundraising. Savannah wants a sister badly. I have started a business with Arbonne and am determined to make this business work. It must! Praying hard! Let me know if you have an interest in pure, safe, and beneficial products. Thank you! Lori Bennett

    ReplyDelete